*Sources of screenshots/videos are listed in their respective file-names.
NNC (or Nearly No Commentary) is Video Games and the Bible’s new video resource to further assist you in choosing the right games for your family.
Alongside our usual reviews and previews, NNC provides a look at some of the various games we cover, as well as a brief description of the game and any Potential Concerns you may encounter as a Christian.
You can check out our existing videos and subscribe to our YouTube channel here.
In today’s NNC we feature Black Ice,* a title that combines the shooting, item gathering and character improvement aspects of games like Borderlands with a chunky neon aesthetic reminiscent of Tron.
Potential Concerns include:
- A “God Mode” which grants invincibility
- A cheat item that gives you amazing power called the “Godbreaker” (short for “Godly Icebreaker”)
- Evil corporations who are said to: make “the rent too d/[expletive] high,” attempt to control people through neuroimplants, the weather via satellites, etc.
- A joke about orphans being used as a manufacturing ingredient at some of the aforementioned evil corporations
- A reference to the ‘sexpunk’ author, Made in DNA (this will likely go unnoticed by the average player),
- The usual elemental effects (fire and ice) being harnessed by the player/enemies
- As Black Ice is in Early Access, a story mode is not included and it is unknown what the plot will eventually contain (though conversations with the developer are hopeful)
Overall, Black Ice is a great (and certainly addictive) alternative to titles like Borderlands, but still has potential issues of its own. You can try it yourself here, and watch our Nearly No Commentary gameplay video below (please note that the price will eventually increase to $20 USD as features are added).